Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
My family loves soup, and I love that it's an easy one-pot dinner. Some of our favorite soup recipes include chicken noodle soup, tortellini soup, and this vegetable-filled chicken stew.
You can never go wrong with a bowl of stew, it's an easy-to-use comfort food classic that is sure to impress your family and friends. This chicken stew is a lighter version of the traditional beef variety, but it's just as delicious and cooks in less than half the time!
How do you make chicken stew?
To make chicken stew, first highlight the flavor of the golden chicken in a pot. Remove chicken and add vegetables to cook until tender. Remove the vegetables and add garlic, butter and flour to make a base for the stew. Pour the chicken stock into the pot and mix it with the flour and butter. Add the chicken and cooked vegetables to the pot with the potatoes and seasonings. Cook everything over low heat and let the flavors develop for half an hour. For the final step, add the peas and green beans; Once they are hot, the stew is ready to serve.
Tips for Chicken Stew
- If you prefer chicken breasts, you can use them instead of chicken thighs. I prefer chicken thighs because they are more tender and tasty in a stew.
- I like to brown the chicken to give the stew an extra flavor. Browning the chicken is optional, but it adds a lot of flavor, so I recommend it.
- Cut the vegetables into large pieces so they don't soften too much while the stew simmers.
- This stew is a great candidate for a freezer meal. I often make a double batch, freeze half in a ziplock bag, then thaw and reheat on the stove.
This chicken stew is hearty and delicious, and there are plenty of ways to customize it to your liking.
- Feel free to use other vegetables like mushrooms, red peppers, butternut squash, or broccoli.
- You can try different types of potatoes like red potatoes, red potatoes, or sweet potatoes.
- You can flavor your stew with other ingredients like bacon, hot sauce, canned tomatoes, or white beans.
- For a hearty stew, add grains like barley, small pasta shells, or cooked white rice.
Simmered chicken stew
If you want to make the stew in a slow cooker, brown the chicken first. Remove the chicken and cook the vegetables. Take out the vegetables and cook the butter and flour together. Pour the chicken stock into the pot and mix it with the flour and butter. Add the chicken and cooked vegetables to the pot with the potatoes and seasonings. Pour everything into a slow cooker and simmer for 6 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Add the peas and green beans for the last 10 minutes of the cooking time. Sprinkle with parsley, then serve.
This hearty and delicious stew is one of my favorites. Some people like hot stews in the winter, but this stew is good enough to serve year-round!
Follow us on PINTEREST!
More delicious soups and stews to enjoy
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Chicken soup and rice
- Cabbage Soup
- Cheese burger soup
- Taco soup
This chicken stew is a hearty mix of tender pieces of chicken, potatoes, and vegetables, all in a thick, rich broth. The comfort food classic perfect for warming up on a cold day!
Preparation time: 20 minutes Cook time: 45 minutes Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Servings: 6 Calories: 356kcal
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken drumsticks cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 diced onion
- 3 carrots cut in half and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 pound small yellow potatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 teaspoon dry Italian seasoning
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen green beans
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Season chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- Cook chicken in a single layer for 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden. You may need to cook in batches.
- Remove the chicken from the pot; cover to keep warm.
- Add the onions, carrots, and celery to the pot. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the garlic to the pot; cook for 30 seconds. Remove the vegetables from the pot.
- Melt the butter in the pot. Add the flour and beat until combined. Cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly pour the broth into the pot, whisking constantly.
- Add the chicken and vegetables to the stock pot along with the potatoes, the Italian seasoning, the thyme sprigs, and the bay leaf. Season the stew with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the stew to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add frozen peas and green beans. Cook for another 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
- Sprinkle with parsley, then serve.
Calories :: 356kcal | Carbohydrates: 19 g | Protein: 36 g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 117mg | Sodium: 995mg | Potassium: 1126 mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 5530 IU | Vitamin C: 31.4 mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 3.5mg