Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Chicken Seasoned in Tandoori Sauce – Recreate this Indian favorite QUICKLY and EASILY at home! If you're looking for a new twist on grilled chicken, this is THE recipe to try. It's super juicy, tasty and you'll LOVE it!
Easy tandoori chicken recipe
In the past few years, I've really fallen in love with Indian food, and this grilled tandoori chicken is no exception. It is juicy, tender and has a lot of authentic Indian flavor. It is not spicy, but has a wonderful layered flavor profile that comes from the variety of spices.
While some of the Indian cuisine seems daunting and complicated due to the unknown ingredients and the cooking process itself, this tandoori chicken recipe is easy, very straightforward, and you can get the ingredients at almost any grocery store.
As barbecue season begins, I urge you to put down that bottle of barbecue sauce – we've all eaten grilled chicken a million times! – and venture into a whim of ethnic eating. You'll thank yourself later because this chicken is delicious.
Served with jasmine or basmati rice, this quick and easy grilled chicken recipe belongs in your dinner rotation.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
Grilled Chicken Tandoori Ingredients
For the tasty tandoori chicken marinade, you'll need a mix of Greek yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, garam masala (available in the spice aisle of your regular store), paprika, turmeric, cumin, coriander, ginger, and more. Greek yogurt imparts so much moisture to the chicken, so definitely don't leave it out! And it's impossible to have tasteless or smelly chicken with all those spices.
If that flavor profile and ingredient list sound familiar to you, it's because it's so similar to my Shawarma Chicken Bowls. I loved those recipes so much and it's no surprise that tandoori chicken was also a winner for us.
While it's not very traditional to have a sauce for the tandoori chicken, I used the extra Greek yogurt I had anyway to make the marinade make a sauce for dipping. It is made with olive oil, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. It is super creamy and perfectly complements the seasoned chicken.
Although optional, I recommend combining your grilled tandoori chicken with it! You are not need A sauce since the chicken is very moist on its own, but I am addicted to sauce and salsa. Therefore, I made a sauce.
How to make tandoori chicken
This is quite possibly the easiest grilled chicken recipe ever. Simply combine the chicken, yogurt, and spices in a zip-lock bag and wrap all around until the meat is completely covered in the tandoori chicken marinade. Then put it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes so those flavors have time to combine.
Then grill the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes on each side (cooking times will vary depending on the thickness of the chicken). While the chicken is roasting, prepare the sauce for dipping.
When you are ready to serve the grilled tandoori chicken, garnish with a little chopped coriander and serve along with rice or quinoa.
Can I use a regular grill for this recipe?
Since I don't have a tandoor in the back (and you probably don't either), I use my gas grill outdoors. If you don't have a grill I'm sure you can bake it in a skillet in a 400F oven until done or use an inner skillet, but I haven't personally tried it either. ‘This is the season for me to light my grill outdoors.
Tips for making tandoori chicken
When you remove the marinated chicken from the bag, discard the leftover marinade. You don't want chicken dripping when you put it on the grill, and you can't reuse leftover marinade as it touches raw meat.
If you're in a hurry, use chicken fillets instead of breasts or thighs. They are much smaller and thinner, so they cook quickly on the grill.
Lastly, I used nonfat Greek yogurt in the tandoori chicken marinade, but you can use whole fat if you want. Just make sure it's simple and sugar-free, otherwise this chicken won't taste good!
More easy Indian recipes:
- Tikka Masala Chicken Pressure Cooker – Make this Indian favorite at home in 30 minutes! The juicy chicken is topped with an ultra-tasty creamy sauce! You don't need to go to a restaurant because this easy recipe tastes better!
- Indian Butter Chicken – An easy pot recipe for a favorite Indian classic! Juicy, buttery chicken simmered in a creamy tomato-based sauce! The next time you want Indian food, you can make it yourself in 30 minutes!
- Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry with Coconut – An easy skillet curry that's ready in 30 minutes and packed with great flavors! Healthy and comforting food that tastes amazing!
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time 5 minutes
Time to cook 10 minutes
Marinating time 45 minutes
Total time 1 hour
- 1/2 cup (5 ounces) Greek yogurt (I used 0% fat)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, finely minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of garam masala
- 1 tablespoon of paprika (I used smoked paprika)
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of coriander
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- 1 to 1.25 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used breasts that cook very quickly to save time)
Dip sauce (optional)
- about 2/3 cup (6 ounces) of Greek yogurt (I used 0% fat)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of honey, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped for garnish, optional
- Add all ingredients to a gallon-size ziplock bag, seal and crush the chicken to cover it well and evenly. Put the bag in the fridge and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes (if you can plan ahead and marinate overnight, even better).
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Remove the chicken from the bag with tongs and place it on the grill; discard bag and additional marinade. Grill the chicken on each side for about 4 to 5 minutes or until done. Because I used the breasts, they cook very quickly, in about 8 minutes total. Large breasts will take longer to roast. After the chicken is done, set it aside to rest. While resting, prepare the sauce for dipping.
Make the sauce
- In a small bowl, add all the ingredients except the coriander and mix to mix. Test, check the balance of the seasoning and the desired consistency, and if necessary add more salt, pepper, oil, honey, etc. to taste.
- Optionally, garnish chicken with coriander before serving with accompanying sauce. Chicken is best fresh but will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days; the dipping sauce will remain airtight for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
1 Amount per proportion: Calories: 511 Total Fat: 25 g Saturated Fat: 4 g Trans Fat: 0 g Unsaturated Fat: 19 g Cholesterol: 128 mg Sodium: 1269 mg Carbohydrates: 19 g Fiber: 2 g Sugar: 11 g Protein: 54 g
Even more grilled chicken recipes:
Peach Chili Grilled Chicken – Tender, juicy, and FLAVORED from sweet peach preserves and chili-garlic sauce! The perfect contrast! EASY, healthy, ready in 10 minutes, zero cleaning, perfect for backyard barbecues or easy evening dinners!
Honey Barbecue Grilled Chicken: Tender, juicy, full of FLAVOR, and a great recipe for making grilled chicken. EASY, healthy, ready in 10 minutes, zero cleaning, perfect for backyard barbecues or easy evening dinners!
Grilled Chicken with Spicy Garlic: A FABULOUS homemade marinade made with everyday ingredients that produces a super tasty and juicy chicken! If you are looking for a NEW marinade to prepare grilled chicken, this is the one!
Grilled Lemon Chicken – EASY, ready in 10 minutes, and the chicken is TENDED, juicy and full of LEMON flavor! With broccoli grilled on the side, this is a HEALTHY recipe perfect for the swimsuit season that tastes AMAZING.
Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉 Chicken Sauce Seasoning