Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
YES, you read it correctly, this was the first recipe I made for the blog almost 9 years ago! This chicken omelette soup is a recipe that my whole family has been preparing for years and it's one that I love to make when I have friends because it's a crowd! The flavors are amazing, it really is very easy to mix and the best part is that it is a light and healthy dish so you don't have to feel guilty for spoiling yourself because this recipe is TONS!
In fact, you can do this on the stove or in an instant pot (THIS IS my favorite!) If you're running out of time OR feel free to let it boil all day in your slow cooker. When doing this on the stove, I love using roast chicken because it just keeps things really simple, especially during those busy nights of the week when you're trying to cook something in a hurry. Also, I LOVE the flavor of roasted chicken, especially soups! If you're doing this in your slow cooker, you can simply toss the chicken breasts along with the rest of the ingredients, let them cook all day, and then shred the chicken before serving. Whichever way you choose to make this recipe, a winner is guaranteed!
This soup is truly the perfect comfort food and although we are getting to the heart of summer, this recipe is really perfect all year long! I like to finish my soup with fresh coriander, sliced avocado, and some crispy tortilla strips, while my husband prefers a tablespoon of sour cream and grated cheese. Remember that you can also adapt this recipe to your liking, such as adding a little chopped jalapeño to add more spices! Do you have a lot left over? Don't worry, this soup freezes perfectly! It will last up to 2 months in your freezer and 4 days in the refrigerator.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out my Quinoa and Chicken Fajita Soup and my Chipotle Chicken Omelette Soup too! All great recipes with lots of flavor!
Chicken and omelette soup
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (if using Instant Pot or stove)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10 oz) enchilada sauce (used to heat it)
- 1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1½ lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (if using Instant Pot or slow cooker) or 3 cups shredded roast chicken (using stove)
- 1 lime juice
- Ingredients (optional): coriander, avocado, grated cheese
- To do in your instant pot: Drizzle olive oil into the bowl of your instant pot and activate the stir fry feature. Once the oil is boiling, sauté the onion for 3 to 4 minutes and then add the garlic, skipping an additional minute. Then add the rest of the ingredients (except the lime juice) and set the instant pot to the soup setting and set the timer for 7 minutes. After cooking is complete, let the instant pot sit for about 12 minutes, then release the steam by placing the valve in the vent position. Remove the chicken and shred it with two forks, then return the chicken to the pot and add the lime juice.
- To make in your slow cooker: In a 6-quart slow cooker, add the chicken and the rest of the ingredients (except lime juice), cover, and set on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 6 to 8 hours. Remove chicken and shred it with two forks, then add back to the slow cooker along with the lime juice.
- To make on the stove: In a large Dutch oven or saucepan over medium-high heat, drizzle in the oil and sauté the onion for 3 to 4 minutes, then add the garlic and sauté an additional minute. Add the rest of the ingredients (except the lime juice) and bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 30. Add the lime juice and additional ingredients of your choice. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 1½ cups • Calories: 268 • Fat: 5.2g • Saturated Fat: 1.2g • Carbs: 26.9g • Fiber: 5.4g • Protein: 32.5g • Sugar: 5.4g • Freestyle Points WW: 1
Follow us on PINTEREST!
Cooking Stove Instant Slow Pot Chicken Soup Tortilla