Sometimes the easiest recipes are the most delicious.
This buttermilk fried chicken is just that.
I had very low expectations for this recipe.
It came from Samin Nosrat and I saw it on the Netflix show, Salt Fat Acid Heat (if you haven't seen the show yet, get it on your list to watch ASAP!).
She made it seem so light and delicious, and you practically seized to see her cut into it.
As I read the recipe, however, I wondered how the broil the beef-marinated roast chicken could be as good as she said.
Again, I stand corrected.
Buttermilk fried chicken was INCREDIBLE.
So juicy, so moist and so much flavor.
And with only three ingredients !!
And BARELY all hands on time.
You literally marinate an entire chicken overnight in cow’s milk, then put it in the oven and 1.5 hours later you have the most juicy cow’s milk fried chicken ever.
No condiments on whole milk fried chicken?
No, cow's milk and salt do everything you season for you.
Of course, if you find that it needs more, you will certainly spice up flavor, but we ate it just as it is, and it was perfectly seasoned to our liking.
What if I don't have cow's milk?
Get something. This is not the time to make your own.
I think you have to get store bought / real buttermilk to get the right results because it's grown vs. acidified (via vinegar or lemon juice).
Milk and vinegar just don't seem to be cut out.
If you really don't find it, you can use plain yogurt!
What does the cow's milk do with the chicken?
The lactic acid in the cow's milk penetrates the chicken and helps to thaw it, maintains moisture and allows added flavor to penetrate the meat more easily.
Can I have this in the fridge for longer than 24 hours?
Up to 48 hours, no longer.
Can I have this in the fridge for less than 24 hours?
I highly recommend giving this whole 24 hours.
Can you freeze this mixture?
Should you mix / massage the chicken for a full 24 hours?
You can, if you're inclined, but don't need it.
The liquid does not cover the entire chicken when it is in the refrigerator.
It is okay. It still works.
Should you tie the chicken legs?
Need a roasting pan?
No, what I did was place a wire cooling rack on top of a felled baking sheet and then place the chicken on top.
I also lined my baking sheet with foil.
Omg, the temperature is so high.
Yep, but it works.
Are you going to put the chicken in a diagonal?
Yes, Samin says: the rear corners tend to be the hottest spots in the oven, so this orientation protects the chest from overcooking before the legs are done.
Why are you putting your legs behind the stove? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
People do this, but then the breasts dry out because they don't take as long to cook as the legs. So, by reversing the orientation, the breasts protect against over-cooking.
The exterior of my beef milk fried chicken turns horribly brown!
You can cover it with foil for the rest of the cooking process.
Shred meat roast chicken when cooled and make these recipes with shredded chicken:
- Homemade chicken enchiladas
- Cooker with chicken tortilla soup
- Shredded chicken cabbage Caesar salad with parmesan chips
- Instant pot jalapeño lime chicken soup
Chicken milk fried chicken
This beef milk roast chicken is the easiest chicken to make and provides the most flavorful, tender, moist and juicy chicken you have ever had! Preparation time: 30 min. Cooking time: 1 hour Marinating time: 1 d Total time: 1 d 1 hour. 30 min. Course: Main courses Cuisine: American Calories: 305kcal
- 3 1/2 – 4 pounds whole chicken
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- The day before you want to make the chicken, remove the blade tips by cutting through the first blade joint with a sharp knife. Season the chicken generously with salt, then let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Mix 2 tablespoons kosher salt in the milk and stir until dissolved.
- After 30 minutes, place the chicken in a gallon-sized plastic bag and then the buttermilk over the chicken. Seal, massage a little, then place in the fridge for 24 hours.
- An hour before you want to cook the chicken, take out the chicken and let it come to room temperature. Everything is cooked more evenly that way.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, and line a folded baking sheet with foil. Place a wire rack on top.
- Take the chicken out of the bag and wipe off the milk as much as you can. Don't be obsessed with it; as much as you can.
- Place the chicken on top of the wire rack, then with the butcher's yarn, tie the legs together.
- Place the baking tray diagonally on the middle rack in the oven, then turn the pan so that the legs are facing the rear left rear of the oven.
- Cook for 20 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, then turn the pan so the legs are facing the back right back of the oven.
- Let it cook for another 30 minutes (more or less) until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
From Samin Nosrat Nutrition facts Buttermilk fried chicken amounts per day. Serving (1 serving) calories 305 calories from fat 135 % Daily Value * Fat 15g23% carbohydrates 25g8% Fiber 1g4% Sugar 3g3% protein 46g92% * Percent daily values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. * Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate.