Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
At least once a week I have my family pull out the favorites, including cream cheese wontons, lemon chicken, and this hearty plate of fried chicken rice.
Fried rice is a classic to go, but it is actually very easy to make at home. My version of this dish is filled with tender chicken and colorful vegetables, and it's always a hit with both kids and adults.
HOW TO MAKE FRIED RICE WITH CHICKEN?
First, cut the boneless, skinless chicken breasts into small pieces, then brown them in a pan. Remove the chicken from the pan, then the vegetables and eggs are cooked in the same pan. The next step is to add everything to the pan along with cooked white rice, toasted sesame oil, and soy sauce. Cook until everything is covered in sauce, add a pinch of sliced green onions, then serve and enjoy.
TIPS FOR FRIED CHICKEN RICE
- I recommend using long grain white rice for this dish, you can use a normal white rice or a fragrant variety like jasmine rice.
- I usually make this dish with chicken breast, but diced thighs will work, too. You can also use precooked chicken like roast chicken or leftover chicken.
- Frozen peas work perfectly on this fried rice, no need to look for fresh peas at the grocery store. That said, I don't recommend using canned peas as they don't have as nice a color or texture as the frozen variety.
- Fried rice works best with cold rice, so this is the perfect way to reuse leftover rice. With cold rice, the grains are all separated and firm, and you will get a better texture than with fresh cooked rice. Fried rice made from freshly cooked rice will be softer and will not have those crispy bits.
IS FRIED RICE BAD FOR YOU?
Fried rice contains some oil, but other than that, the basic ingredients of chicken breast, vegetables, eggs, and rice are healthy and packed with nutrients and protein. If you're looking for ways to make your fried rice healthier, you can use half the amount of vegetable oil, substitute cooked brown rice for white rice, and add a variety of additional vegetables to the mix.
VARIATIONS OF FRIED RICE WITH CHICKEN
There are so many different ingredients that you can add to your fried rice to personalize it to your family's tastes.
- Protein: You can add other types of protein like shrimp, steaks, pork, or tofu.
- Vegetables: I like to add other vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, red pepper, mushrooms, asparagus, or green beans.
- Condiments: You can add other condiments like roasted sesame seeds, hot sauce, or freshly grated ginger.
Fried chicken rice is perfect for those busy nights when you need to dine quickly. It is also a great option if you are looking to prepare meals. You can store fried rice in food preparation containers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, just reheat in the microwave when it's time to eat!
Follow us on PINTEREST!
MORE ASIAN DISHES YOU WILL ENJOY
- Bittersweet chicken
- Chicken and lettuce wraps
- Pepper steak
- Slow cooker orange chicken
- Homemade Egg Rolls
Chicken fried rice
This chicken fried rice is tender pieces of chicken breast sauteed with scrambled eggs, vegetables, and white rice. A quick and easy main dish or garnish that's even better than what you'd get from your favorite Chinese restaurant!
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Total time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 Calories: 330kcal
- 4 teaspoons divided use vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 Cup of onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen thawed peas
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 lightly beaten eggs
- 3 cups long grain cooked white rice works best
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce is fine
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the chicken in a single layer in the pan. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until chicken is browned and cooked through. You may need to work in batches.
- Remove chicken from skillet and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add 1 teaspoon of oil to the pan, along with the onion and carrots. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove vegetables from pan, then cover with foil to keep warm.
- Pour the remaining teaspoon of oil into the pan; add the eggs and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking with a spatula, until the eggs are scrambled and cooked through. Season the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Add rice, chicken, reserved cooked vegetables and peas to skillet. Add soy sauce and sesame oil and mix gently until everything is well combined and hot, 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle green onions over the top of the rice mixture, then serve.
Calories :: 330kcal | Carbohydrates: 38 g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 296mg | Sodium: 1460mg | Potassium: 266 mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2855 IU | Vitamin C: 7.1mg | Calcium: 165mg | Iron: 2.9mg