EASY homemade Chicken Fajita Quesadilla Recipe. Crispy tortillas filled with chicken, vegetables and cheese – everything you would expect in an authentic Mexican dinner, ready in just 15 minutes.
Tortillas stuffed with spicy chicken, sautéed peppers, onions, cheese, then cooked until tortillas are crispy and thoroughly heated. Although you can fill tortillas with any ingredient you like, we love these quesadillas inspired by the classic Chicken Fajitas.
Serve homemade quesadillas guacamole and salsa.
What is a quesadilla? A quesadilla is a Mexican dish that uses tortillas (corn or flour) with a filling, folded in half and cooked until the tortilla is crispy (kind of like a flat taco).
How to make quesadillas?
- CHICKEN– Cut the chicken into thin strands. TIP: You can use chicken breast or chicken thighs.
- VEGETABLES– Cut pepper and onion into threads (you want them the same size for even cooking).
- KOKKYLLING– Add oil to a frying pan when hot, chicken with gravy and homemade seasoning spice. Remove it from the pan and cover to keep warm. TIP: You can use store-bought spices or just season with your favorite spice.
- COOK BORDERS– Dry the vegetables in the same skillet until tender. Add the chicken and mix everything together.
- GATHER– Add chicken and veggies to half the quesadilla. Top generously with cheese. Repeat with the other quesadilla.
- COOK QUESADILLAS– Add both quesadillas to the skillet. Cook until the tortilla is crispy, turn, and cook until the other side is crispy and the cheese melts (if needed, turn down the heat and cook until the cheese melts).
Frequently Asked Questions and Tips for Quesadillas
You will love these EASY loaded quesadillas! Cheesy and packed with protein and vegetables – this recipe is a WINNER.
- Can I use different vegetables? We just kept the classic peppers and onions that are usually cooked with Fajitas, mushrooms are a great addition. TIP– The vegetables can either be in block or cut into thin strands.
- Can I replace the meat? We use chicken for these fajitas, but you can use shrimp or steak as a substitute with wonderful results.
- Can I make them in advance? Yes. Prepare for directions and cool quesadillas. Cook before serving. TIP– Be sure to keep the quesadillas covered so the tortilla does not dry. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Can I freeze quesadillas? Yes. Prepare for directions and freeze quesadillas. Thaw overnight and cook for directions.
- What cheese can I use? You can use any shredded cheese you have available. Four cheeses and Mexican are our favorites, but you can also add Colby Jack or Mozzarella.
- Can I make them spicy? To add heat to the quesadilla, you can add cubed jalapenos or Sriracha.
These quesadillas are great for a lazy evening or a hearty lunch (and your next camping trip). Not only are they so easy to make, but they are also so filling.
OTHER MEXICAN-INSPIRED STORES:
Chicken Fajita Quesadilla Recipe
Crispy flour tortillas filled with chicken, vegetables and cheese – everything you would expect in an authentic Mexican dinner, ready in just 15 minutes. These homemade quesadillas are so easy to make.
Preparation time: 7 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Servings: 2 servings (2 quesadillas)
- 2 8 ”flour tortillas
- 1/2 lb chicken breast
- 1 small red pepper
- 1/4 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon taco spice
- 1 cup shredded cheese (see note)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil, divided
Cut the chicken into small strands. Cut pepper and onion into thin strands.
- In a frying pan, Sauce the chicken with 2 teaspoons oil. Season with taco spices and cook until the chicken is fully cooked. Remove it from the pan and cover to keep warm.
Sow peppers and onions with butter until vegetables reach the desired tenderness. Add the chicken back and cook until the chicken is heated.
Add half of the chicken mixture to one side of the tortilla, top with cheese and fold the tortilla. Repeat with the other tortilla.
Cook quesadillas in medium until tortillas are crispy and cheese melts.
Cheese – you can use your favorite shredded cheese for quesadillas.
Calories: 526 kcal Carbohydrates: 22 g Protein: 40 g Fat: 30 g Saturated fat: 13 g Cholesterol: 132 mg Potassium: 654 mg Step: 2 g Sugar: 5 g Vitamin A: 2575IU Vitamin C: 79 mg Calcium: 320 mgIron: 2 mg
(The nutritional information given is an estimate and will vary based on the preparation methods and brands of ingredients used.)