Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
You can make this recipe with the remains of roasted chicken, easy! Serve large plates of chicken curry salad and the best tuna salad side by side at your next gathering. Serve with some bagels and lettuce cups; guests can mix and match. For other amazing salads, perfect for everything from work to shared meals, take a look.
If you've been paying crazy prices for chicken curry salad at Whole Foods or at your local store, you've come to the right place. This classic chicken salad recipe is easy to make. And luckily, it costs a lot less than things at the salad bar.
Chicken curry salad has been popular for decades, and really, what should you not love? Tender Roasted Chicken Breast with Almonds, Grapes, and Celery in a fragrant mayonnaise dressing flavored with turmeric and spices… yum. It will probably become your favorite lunch any day of the week. Add or subtract ingredients to make your version exactly the way you like it.
Chicken Curry Salad Ingredients:
- Chicken. Leftover roast chicken works great in this recipe. If you are making chicken especially for the salad, this is what you should do. Roast some chicken breasts in the oven at 350 degrees and roast until tender and cooked through. When it is cold, remove the skin and cut the meat into pieces.
- Grapes. Seedless please! Red grapes add a lovely color, but use green grapes if they look better in the store. Cut them in half to become a father.
- Celery. For an incredible crunch. Leave it out if you don't mind celery.
- Chives Add enough onion flavor without the bite.
- Silver almonds. Toasted almonds taste good in this salad.
- Parsley. Or coriander.
- Celery seed. Completely optional, but celery seed adds a delicious extra layer of flavor to this salad.
- Curry powder. Mild or slightly spicy, Madras Curry Powder is a blend of spices that gives this chicken salad a distinctive flavor.
- Mayonnaise. Good quality mayonnaise does not always have to be the most expensive. Hellman’s or Best Foods is delicious.
- Lemon juice. Or any type of vinegar: white, champagne or apple cider vinegar. Ina Garten uses white wine.
Here are some other fun ingredients to add to a curry-flavored chicken salad powder. Add what you think sounds good!
- Grated carrots.
- Roasted and salted cashews.
- Mango chutney. Commander Gray's hot sauce, sold by the jar at grocery stores, adds sweetness and flavor to the chicken salad. Some people love it!
- Raisins or raisins. Zante currants (small raisins, actually) or golden raisins, especially.
- Craisins In case you don't like raisins, use dried cranberries. The little sweetness adds a lot to the salad.
- Pineapple. A little finely chopped pineapple adds sweetness as well.
- Couscous. Tiny Mediterranean pasta, or its larger cousin, Israeli couscous, is a natural addition.
What is in curry powder?
Depending on the brand or variety, curry powder can be mild to spicy. Dip your little finger in the dust and give it a try. If it is very spicy, add more lemon juice to temper the spice.
Basic yellow curry powder may contain:
Follow us on PINTEREST!
- Coriander. (also known as coriander seed)
- Dried mustard.
- Black pepper.
- Cayenne pepper or ground chili peppers.
How to make chicken curry salad:
You can prepare this chicken salad one day in advance. It is kept for three to 5 days in the refrigerator. However, it doesn't freeze well, so
- First, make the dressing. Whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, curry powder, celery seed, and salt and pepper.
- Then add the minced chicken, celery, grapes, chives, almonds, and parsley. Mix everything together until well combined.
- Then try. Fit to season and serve!
How to make chicken curry salad healthy:
Some cooks prefer to make chicken curry salad without mayonnaise and make the sauce with Greek yogurt instead. Overall, it's pretty healthy! This recipe has no added sugar other than mayonnaise. Add additional vegetables, fruits, and nuts and enjoy.
What to serve with chicken curry salad:
Make sandwiches Toasted challah, homemade rye, dinner buns last night … just
Lots of vegetables. Romaine lettuce wraps, butter lettuce cups or a large bed of green lettuce.
Soup. The combination of soup and salad makes it a meal. Try the roasted tomato soup or the split pea soup.
Type of American cuisine Preparation time: 10 minutes Cook time: 5 minutes Total time: 15 minutes Servings: 8 servings Calories: 221 kcal
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons of curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed optional, see notes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken, diced or cooked
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 cup of red seedless grapes divided into halves or quarters (see notes)
- 4 chives and green parts and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds or sliced almonds, toasted (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Butter or bread lettuce leaves, to serve
- In a large bowl, add mayonnaise, lemon juice, curry powder, celery seeds, and salt and pepper to taste (I like 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper). Whisk to combine.
- Add chicken, celery, grapes, chives, almonds, and parsley. Mix to cover. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Serve on bread or in lettuce cups.
- Chicken curry salad can be prepared and refrigerated one day in advance. Before serving, add a tablespoon of mayonnaise, a little lemon juice and more salt and pepper to taste.
- I really like the celery seed in chicken salad. But, if you don't have it and don't want to buy it, it's okay to leave it out. I made chicken curry salad for years without celery seed and always liked it the same.
- I prefer to divide my grapes into quarters for the chicken salad so that they are more or less the same as everything else. But, it's okay if you cut them in half.
To toast almonds on the stove (for other ways to toast almonds, click here):
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat almonds until golden and fragrant, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Serving: 0.75 cup | Calories :: 221kcal