Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
This chicken and barley soup is hearty, healthy, and made with 6 ingredients! Easily customizable and can be done on the stove or in a slow cooker!
February is soup month here at The Recipe Rebel (and on YouTube with my new series 6 Ingredient Suppers), and I'm so excited to add this hearty barley chicken soup to the family!
I know that Barley and Meat Soup is generally more popular, but there is no reason why this Barley and Chicken Soup does not share something of the spotlight.
It has a ton of flavor and is made with just SIX ingredients (plus I've included lots of ways for you to customize below).
Follow us on PINTEREST!
The preparation is minimal, the ingredients are good for you and it is very comforting on a warm day (don't forget my big piece of bread!).
How to make chicken and barley soup:
- We start our vegetables with a little oil to give them an advantage: I find that if I put raw onion in something like a soup, I am eating crispy onion chunks in my soup and the browning of the onions adds a ton flavor! (* If you prefer to brown your chicken here, you can, but I actually prefer to boil it directly in the broth and then grind it).
- Add our stock and deglaze our pot – this picks up all those beautiful bits of golden goodness from the bottom and adds them to our base.
- Add our chicken, barley and season, then simmer until everything is tender.
- Remove the chicken breasts and crumble them, then stir in the soup and serve (once again, don't forget the crispy bread 😉)
Variations on this chicken and barley soup:
- Add additional herbs and spices– With 6-ingredient soup recipes, our goal is to maximize the flavor found in just a couple of ingredients. In this soup recipe, we use a full-bodied chicken broth and our vegetables to add most of the flavor. However, I will never tell you that you cannot add additional herbs and spices! Feel free to pick a couple from your spice drawer if you find that your chicken stock isn't as tasty as you'd like.
- Vegetables: Swap vegetables for your favorites, or add more!
- Make it vegetarian: change the chicken broth for vegetables and the chicken for mushrooms; be sure to sauté the mushrooms with the onions.
- Make it thick and creamy: Add 1 / 2-1 cup of cream mixed with 1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch for thick, creamy soup
- Swap the chicken for cooked ground beef, smoked sausages, or add cooked, minced bacon for a fresh take.
How to make chicken and barley soup in the electric pot:
To make this chicken and barley soup in the slow cooker, you can simply throw all the ingredients into the slow cooker and simmer until the barley and vegetables are tender, then crumble the chicken.
Best results It will still come sautéing the vegetables in a little oil before adding them to the slow cooker, but I know there are people (like me!) who hate the idea of using lots of extra pots.
You decide which one is more important to you: a better developed flavor or fewer pots and pans 😉
More easy and healthy soup recipes you'll love!
- spicy soup
- Cheese burger soup
- Creamy Chicken and Slow Cooker Noodle Soup
- Turkey noodle soup (instant pot or slow cooker)
- Chicken rice soup & # 8211; Stove or slow cooker
Chicken and Barley Soup
This chicken and barley soup is hearty, healthy, and made with 6 ingredients! Easily customizable and can be done on the stove or in a slow cooker! Course Main Course, Cooking Soup American Keyword Barley Chicken Soup, Chicken Soup Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 1 hour Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes Servings 4 servings Calories 352.06kcal
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts (about 300 g total)
- 2/3 cup rinsed pearl or barley (120 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots, celery, and onion and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the broth, chicken breasts (raw and whole), barley, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the barley is tender, about 45-60 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it with two forks. Add to the soup again, taste and adjust the salt and pepper to your preferences.
Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉 BarleyChickenSoup