Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Jump to recipe
Cauliflower mac and cheese is a comforting, cheesy, creamy substitute for a childhood favorite pasta dish. It is made with cauliflower, cream cheese sauce, and baked with more cheese on top. This recipe is rich and creamy and you can easily make it gluten free or lactose free.
Fan of cauliflower recipes? I have quite a few recipes where you can substitute cauliflower in your favorite dishes. Some of our favorite recipes are Mashed Cauliflower, Cauliflower pizza doughand Cauliflower soup.
CAULIFLOWER AND CHEESE MAC
Mac and cheese is one of the dishes that I miss the most. I have been gluten intolerant for 4 years and may have gotten used to it, but I admit I miss the comforting flavor of pasta, pizza and bread. There are many tasty substitutions and gluten-free options available, but I've also fallen in love with cauliflower.
Cauliflower has been very good to replace pizza dough, rice, potatoes and many other dishes. It is lower in carbohydrates and has more nutritional value. Did I mention that it is also tasty? If you already like cauliflower, you will love cauliflower macaroni and cheese. If you're not too crazy about cauliflower, I guarantee you will like it smothered in a soft cheese sauce. (Cheese makes everything better!)
Let's talk about the taste of cauliflower and cheese. This dish is amazing. I first sauté the cauliflower to partially cook it, and then mix it with a soft, homemade cheese sauce. Technically, you can eat it at this point, but I recommend going the extra step and baking it with a little extra cheese on top.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
I like to sauté the cauliflower instead of boiling or steaming it because it retains more nutrients and tastes much better with the golden edges. You just need to make sure you cook it until it starts to soften and not quite. The cauliflower is so well covered with cheese sauce that it will be your favorite food and garnish.
How to make cauliflower Mac and cheese gluten-free:
Did I mention that you can easily make this recipe gluten-free? Well you can!
Just use gluten-free all-purpose flour in the cheese sauce. It thickens just as well and the sauce will be just as smooth and creamy. All other ingredients should be gluten-free, but check the packaging just in case.
How to make cauliflower Mac and lactose-free cheese:
There are two easier substitutions to make this recipe lactose free. Milk and butter are the two elements that have lactose, so use whole milk without lactose or 2% milk. For butter, use lactose-free butter as I can not believe it's Not Butter, Ground Balance, Butter based on avocado oilor other substitutes for butter.
When it comes to lactose, most cheeses that are over 6 months old are naturally lactose free. Therefore, hard cheeses like cheddar, parmesan, Monterrey Jack cheese, and even some mozzarella will have 0% lactose.
Many brands will put the lactose content directly on the label, below the nutritional information. Look for words like "contains 0% lactose per serving." If the newsroom is not there, you can see the sugar content. If the sugar is 0 g, that will indicate that there is very little chance of lactose.
Can I do it without dairy?
Unfortunately, it would be very difficult to go completely dairy-free. Although you can substitute milk for almond milk and vegan butter for vegan butter, it would be quite impossible to successfully substitute cheese. Vegan cheese is not easy to work with and I personally have not found one that works well in cheese and macaroni cheese sauces.
HOW TO MAKE CAULIFLOWER AND CHEESE MACES
Chop: Wash the head of the cauliflower and cut the florets. Cut the florets into bite-size pieces and try to bring them closer to the same size.
Saute: Sauté the cauliflower pieces with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder over medium heat. Sauté until partially softened but still has a little crunch in the middle. (This could take 10 to 15 minutes, depending on how large the pieces are cut.)
Cheese sauce: Take the cauliflower out of the pan and set it aside. Melt the butter in the same pan and beat the flour. Keep beating and slowly start pouring milk. Keep beating gently until everything is incorporated. When the milk is hot, start adding cheese a handful at a time. Continue beating and add the cheese in handfuls until everything is smooth and melted. Spice with salt and pepper.
To bake: When the cheese sauce is soft, mix it with cauliflower and transfer it to a greased baking dish. Spread the cauliflower evenly on the baking sheet and top with some Mozzarella cheese. Bake at 375 ° for about 15 minutes. You can light the grill until the top is golden brown.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH IT
Treat the cauliflower mac and cheese like a pasta cousin. You can serve it as a main dish or as a garnish. This plate of cauliflower with cheese will be accompanied by most meats and sides, so serve whatever you want with it.
More cauliflower recipes to try
French fries with cauliflower and parmesan
Easy Roasted Cauliflower
Fried Rice with Cauliflower
Roasted Cauliflower Cheese
General Tsos Cauliflwoer
Roasted cauliflower fillets
Bang Bang Cauliflower
If you made any of my recipes and shared them on Instagram, be sure to tag me at @RecetasLatinas and #RecetasLatinas so I can see all the things you tried!
Connect with FREE Latin Recipes!
Be sure to click below and follow me on my social media, so you never miss a recipe.
Don't forget to sign up for emails, so you won't miss any new recipes.
PIN THIS RECIPE
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
The cauliflower mac and cheese is creamy, cheesy, and comforting. It is made with cauliflower, cream cheese sauce, and baked with more cheese on top. Preparation time: 10 minutes Cook time: 35 minutes Total time: 45 minutes Servings: 732 kcal
- 2 1 / 2-3 lb cauliflower head
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoonful of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour can use GF all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk or 2% milk
- 4 oz Block of Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
- 8 oz block of Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 ° and lightly grease an 8 × 8 baking dish. (You can also use a different size baking pan that is approximately 2 quarts.)
- Wash the head of the cauliflower and cut the florets. Cut the florets into bite-size pieces and try to bring them closer to the same size.
- Sauté the cauliflower pieces with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder over medium heat. Cook until partially softened but still have a little crisp in the middle. (This could take 10 to 15 minutes, depending on how large the pieces are cut.)
- Take the cauliflower out of the pan and set it aside.
- Melt the butter in the same pan and beat the flour. Keep beating and slowly start pouring milk. Keep beating gently until everything is incorporated.
- When the milk mixture is hot, start adding cheese a handful at a time. Continue beating and add the cheese in handfuls until everything is smooth and melted. Season with salt, garlic powder, and pepper.
- When the cheese sauce is soft, mix it with cauliflower and transfer it to a greased baking dish.
- Spread the cauliflower evenly on the baking sheet and top with grated mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. You can light the grill until the top is golden, but keep an eye on it.
Calories: 732kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 39 g | Fat: 55g | Saturated Fat: 30g | Cholesterol: 144mg | Sodium: 938 mg | Potassium: 1063mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1394 IU | Vitamin C: 137mg | Calcium: 991mg | Iron: 2mg Have you tried this recipe? Mention @RecetasLatinas and tag #RecetasLatinas