Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Cginger soup and arrot It is one of my favorite cold weather soups. It's healthy and easy to make, has a smooth, creamy texture and warms you up from the inside out. Made from fresh carrots, ginger, onion, broth, and a hint of spice, it is also dairy and vegan free.
I can definitely say that ginger is one of my favorite ingredients to flavor any dish. It is spicy but has a warm and sweet flavor, giving any recipe a deliciously spicy aroma. So today, I'm mixing fresh carrots in a rich, creamy soup with hints of ginger.
This carrot and ginger soup has a perfect balance of sweetness and flavor, and is loaded with healthy ingredients. If there was ever a cozy soup to heat by a fire, this is it.
Carrot and ginger soup ingredients
This recipe pairs wonderfully with just 7 simple ingredients. And most of those you probably already have in your fridge and pantry. This is what you will need:
- Carrots: form most of this heavy vegetarian soup.
- Ginger: Add warmth, sweetness, and spices.
- Onion and Garlic: Add freshness and depth of flavor.
- Vegetable broth: to make it velvety.
- Cinnamon: adds a little flavor.
- Bay leaf: add a sweet note.
- Salt and pepper: try out.
How to make carrot and ginger soup
This easy carrot and ginger soup recipe can be divided into three main steps. Cook, blend (or puree) and add ingredients. Here we'll explain to you how to do it:
- Cook the onions, ginger, and garlic. In a large pot over medium-high heat with avocado oil (or olive oil) for a few minutes.
- Add carrots in the pot and cook for 10 minutes, while stirring frequently.
- Add the vegetable stock, bay leaf, cinnamon, and salt. to the pot. Bring to a boil, cover, and then lower the heat to low to simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender or transfer to a high power blender. Blend for about 1 minute or until pureed and smooth.
- Cook the shallots in a saucepan over medium-high heat with avocado oil for about 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently. Then remove the shallots on a paper towel.
- Decorate with coconut cream, shallots, pine nuts, coriander and enjoy!
Tips to make it ultra creamy
You can use a manual immersion blender or high power blender to puree the soup. If you use an immersion blender (like I did here), it will be creamy, but textured.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
If you want the soup to be ultra creamy, transfer it to a large blender and mix on high for one minute. It will be smooth as silk.
You can also add more broth to the soup, if you want it thinner (and more drinkable) instead of thick and hearty. It's up to you!
What to serve with carrot and ginger soup
If you are looking to enjoy this soup with a hearty protein dishMy crispy baked chicken thighs, basil chicken, garlic butter shrimp, or salmon patties will taste delicious.
Or if you like a good old man soup and salad combinationThis soup will pair very well with my kale apple salad, my wild rice and arugula salad, or my roasted cauliflower za’atar.
More hot soups you'll love
I have a feeling you'll love these other delicious fall and winter soups.
Carrot and ginger soup recipe
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes.
Total time: 1 hour
Servings: 4 servings
Carrot and ginger soup is one of my favorite cold weather soups and is easy to make. Simply mix fresh carrots, ginger, onion, broth, and a touch of spice. It is also dairy and vegan free.
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons ginger, minced or finely diced
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 shallot
- 4 tablespoons coconut cream
- 4 tablespoons coriander, chopped
- 4 teaspoons pine nuts
Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan. Add onions and cook 1-2 minutes or until translucent.
Add the ginger and garlic to the pot and stir for another minute.
Place the chopped carrots in the pot and stir to combine. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the broth, bay leaf, cinnamon, and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil, then cover and lower the heat to simmer. Cook for 20-30 minutes or until carrots are tender when pricked with a fork.
Turn off the heat and remove the bay leaf.
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a high power blender. Blend the soup until pureed and smooth.
To make the crispy shallots, finely slice the shallot and separate each layer from the slice.
Heat the avocado oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and once hot, add the shallots.
Cook the shallots for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, to prevent one side from browning unevenly. Once the shallots are golden brown, scoop them with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel.
Divide each serving of soup into a bowl, shake a tablespoon of coconut cream, and garnish with crispy shallots, pine nuts, and coriander.
- I make this soup in large quantities and freeze it in individual portions, so I always have it on hand. It will keep for several months in the freezer.
Calories: 375kcal, Carbs: 32g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 28g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Sodium: 1682mg, Potassium: 878mg, Fiber: 8g, Sugar: 15g, Vitamin A: 38416IU, Vitamin C: 17mg, Calcium: 92mg Iron: 1mg
ginger carrot soup