Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Brocoli salad It is a combination of broccoli, bacon, red onion, blueberries, sunflower seeds, and goat cheese. And it's topped with a creamy mayonnaise yogurt dressing. So easy and delicious!
Serve this salad with my crispy baked chicken thighs, mustard chicken with honey and herbs, or Souvlaki grilled chicken.
The best broccoli salad recipe
If there ever was a salad recipe that unexpectedly left me speechless, this is it: a simple and unpretentious broccoli salad. But don't be fooled easily, because this salad recipe is full of flavor. It is simultaneously crispy, creamy, sweet and salty. And did I mention that bacon is involved?
When it comes to salad recipes, most of us gravitate toward leafy green vegetables. And I'll be the first to admit that spinach is my favorite green salad. So when you're looking for a little salad shake and want something perfect for meals, picnics, and barbecues (because it's long lasting), give this broccoli salad a spin.
Broccoli salad ingredients
The best thing about a broccoli salad recipe is how easy it is to customize. Raw broccoli forms the bulk of this salad, and bacon, dried fruit, cheese, and seeds are generally involved. But you can adjust each of them to your personal dietary preference. This is what is included in my broccoli salad:
- Red onion
- Dried cranberries
- Sunflower seeds
- Goat cheese
So if you want to use raisins instead of dried cranberries or sliced almonds instead of sunflower seeds, do so. I've included goat cheese instead of cheddar, as I prefer it in salads and I think it adds incredible creaminess. But you can also prepare this dairy-free salad.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
What dressing goes in a broccoli salad?
The typical dressing for a broccoli salad is a creamy mayonnaise-based dressing. I don't add extra sugar to my dressing, but I do add creaminess by adding a little homemade yogurt to the dressing. Add the sweetness and the right flavor. And of course I use my homemade mayonnaise as a starting point.
Can you make this dairy-free broccoli salad?
Absolutely. You can skip the goat cheese or use a dairy-free cheese and swap dairy-free yogurt in the dressing. It will still be delicious!
How to make this broccoli salad easy
The only thing that requires cooking in this salad is the bacon. The rest come together easily! This is how you do it:
- Bake in the oven (it's much easier) and when you're done, pat it dry with a paper towel.
- While the bacon is cooking, cut the florets of a large broccoli head and add them to a mixing bowl.
- Cut some red onion and add that to the bowl along with the sunflower seeds, dried cranberries and goat cheese.
- Once the bacon is cooked and cooled, shred the bacon in the bowl and mix everything together.
- In a separate small bowl make the dressing stirring the mayonnaise and yogurt. Then add that to the salad and mix everything together for the most delicious, flavorful, highly addictive, and healthy broccoli salad recipe.
Broccoli Salad Recipe Video
While this is an easy recipe to make, it always helps to watch a quick video tutorial. Give him a watch below!
More healthy salad recipes you'll love
Do you want easier and healthier salad recipes? Take a look at some of these favorite readers.
The best broccoli salad recipe
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Servings: 6 servings
Broccoli salad is incredibly easy to make. It's healthy, flavorful, and topped with a creamy mayonnaise yogurt dressing. Watch the video above to see how fast you join!
- 1 broccoli head, about 5 cups of florets
- 8 slices of bacon
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
Broccoli salad dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Add the bacon slices to a parchment-lined baking sheet and cook 15 minutes or until crisp. Remove the bacon from the oven and transfer it to a paper towel to dry and cool.
While the bacon is cooking, cut all the broccoli flowers and make sure they are in small pieces. Add them to a large bowl along with the red onion, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, and goat cheese.
To make the dressing, add the mayonnaise and yogurt to a small bowl and stir. Add dressing to bowl and stir until everything is well combined.
- Be sure to cut the broccoli flowers into small and small pieces. Makes it much easier to eat that way.
- If you're wondering what to do with the broccoli stalk, spiral it up! Yes, you can totally spiral a broccoli stalk, just like you would a zucchini. It's delicious! And while I'm not showing you how to spiral a broccoli stalk in my Spiralizer Beginner's Guide video, you can still get some inspiration from the video.
- If you've never cooked bacon in the oven before, be sure to read my recipe post and watch my video. Every time I cook a complete package of bacon, it's definitely my favorite method.
- I also have recipes for homemade mayonnaise and homemade yogurt, but of course you can also buy them in the store.
Calories: 376.7kcal, Carbs: 22.2g, Protein: 12.4g, Fat: 28.7g, Saturated fat: 6.8g, Cholesterol: 30.8mg, Sodium: 328.6mg, Fiber: 4.5g, Sugar: 12g