Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
This Black Forest unbaked ice cake is an easy no-bake dessert that's perfect for summer! Only FOUR ingredients + video!
An ice cake is absolutely a cheat cake, but when a cheat cake looks so good, does anyone care?
I feel like at this point in all of our lives, we can use some easy and delicious baking and non-baking projects. Does anyone else feel the same?
Icebox cakes are great for any occasion, and this version of the Black Forest is truly spectacular!
ThisNo Bake Funfetti Icebox Cake, thisNo Bake Pumpkin Pie Icebox Cake, and thisNo Bake Lemon Raspberry Icebox Cake are other versions that I know you will love too.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
This Black Forest Icebox Cake has only 4 ingredients: 3 if you skip the homemade whipped cream and use frozen whipped topping, which is great for storing for longer periods if you don't go to the store often!
For this reason, it's perfect when you have only 10 minutes to spare, but you feel like you might need a piece of cake later to get through the day.
It's also a really fun baking project to do with kids, because there are no cuts, bakes, or heat of any kind, which means they can have fun whisking, overlapping, and smearing and then reaping all the benefits.
Tips for making the best ice cake:
- If you are making your own whipped creamBe sure to beat it until you have very stiff peaks. It must be very thick!
- Whipped cream does not last for days. If you use fresh whipped cream, I recommend serving it as soon as possible after it has settled. After that, you may have another day before your whipped cream begins to drop. If you want to store it longer or do it in advance, it's a good idea to stabilize your whipped cream. You can do this by adding unflavored gelatin that has been dissolved in warm water according to the package directions. I would use 1 / 2-1 packet of unflavored gelatin for this recipe.
- Cold is important. If you don't allow adequate time for cooling, cookies won't soften and your cake won't set.
- You can make this ice cake in almost any pan. I used a 9 ″ Springform round pan, but could use an 8-9 ″ round pan, 8-9 ″ square pan, or deep dish tart pan. I chose to use a spring shaped tray so I could remove the sides and show off all those glorious layers! Using a springform platter also makes it easier to slice and serve.
Variations on this Black Forest ice cake:
- Use different flavors of pie filling instead of cherry
- Use vanilla wafer cookies or Graham cookies instead of chocolate
- Add a half pack of room temperature cream cheese to your whipped cream: Whip the cream cheese first in the bowl, then add the cream and whisk until thick, and add the sugar and whisk to the stiff peaks.
- You can add a tablespoon of cocoa powder to the whipped cream to get the chocolate whipped cream
* This post was updated and republished from the original in January 2016.
Black Forest oven-free ice cake
This Black Forest unbaked ice cake is an easy no-bake dessert that's perfect for summer! Only FOUR ingredients + video! Course DessertAmerican Cuisine Keyword Ice Cream Pie Prep Time 15 Minutes Cook Time 0 Minutes Total Time 15 Minutes Services 12 Servings Calories 213kcal
- 2 packages of chocolate wafer cookies or Graham chocolate cookies (approximately 300 g)
- 1 can cherry pie filling (540 ml or 2 cups)
- 2 cups thick whipped cream (or substitute frozen, thawed whipped topping and omit sugar)
- 1/2 cup powdered icing sugar
- In large bowl, beat cream and powdered sugar on high speed until stiff peaks form. * See my previous notes to stabilize the whipped cream if you keep it for longer periods of time *
- Place a layer of chocolate wafer cookies in a 9 "Springform pan, breaking them to fit, or overlapping a bit, that's fine. Top with approximately 1/3 of whipped cream and 1/3 of the cherry pie filling.
- Repeat layers two more times for 3 layers in total.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight. Garnish with additional whipped cream if desired, cut into slices and serve.