This beer bread recipe is a little sweet, moist and so delicious! Made with only 6 ingredients, it is a simple quick bread that tastes like you slave over it for hours.
Quick breads like this beer bread require no yeast and are ready in about an hour. Perfect for serving with a steaming hot bowl of vegetable soup, Turkish tacos soup or light 3-ingredient chili.
Homemade bread without yeast
What goes on in your mind when you hear the words "Beer Bread"? Because I personally don't drink beer, I always thought I wouldn't be able to handle something called Beer Bread. Then my cousin got a bread maker. She spent hours and hours searching for new recipes to try, and beer bread quickly became the household favorite. One bite and I got hooked.
However, the best part about this recipe is that there is no yeast and no bread maker required. It is quickly assembled in a bowl, then baked for an hour and you have fresh, warm bread to serve for dinner.
How to make beer bread
This beer bread recipe is super simple with just 6 ingredients: flour, baking powder, granulated sugar, salt, beer and melted butter.
- Prepare: Grease a non-stick frying pan or melted butter and preheat the oven.
- Mix. Grab a large mixing bowl and combine everything with the melted butter. The dough is made from the first 5 ingredients, poured into the prepared pan, and the butter melted and drizzled on top, creating a crunchy crust. For a softer crust, mix in the melted butter with the dough. Personally, I’m a fan of the crispy structure!
- Bake. It takes about 50 minutes to bake, but with oven variations you will check it after 45 minutes or bake up to an hour. You know it's done when the top is golden brown and the sides are pulled away from the pan. The toothpick test is always a give-off – just put one in the middle of the bread and if all you get is moist crumbs, it's ready!
How does beer bread work?
Beer bread is a simple quick bread recipe that uses beer instead of yeast for sourdough. Both beer and bread are formed when yeast is used to convert sugars into carbon dioxide and alcohol. When it comes to bread, a large percentage of the alcohol evaporates during the baking process, but it adds a mild flavor. (source)
Shows suggestions and variations
Beer bread is perfect for serving with big soup, like vegetable soup or bacon and bean soup. It also makes a delicious snack on its own or sliced with butter and honey.
For different variations of beer bread, you can add one of the following to customize it:
- Replace the sugar with honey or agave.
- Add 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese.
- Add a small can of dice, green chiles or jalapenos with or without the cheese.
- Use a cider instead of a cider for a slightly sweeter taste.
How to store beer bread
- Store beer bread at room temperature for up to 3 days. Do not refrigerate is airtight. I recommend that you store bread on a plate or cutting board and cover with a towel.
- After 3 days, freeze any remaining bread by wrapping tightly with plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil and place in freezer. Thaw on the counter overnight and allow it to come to room temperature before slicing.
- Heat your bread in the microwave for 15-20 seconds.
More quick bread recipes
We are in the age of pantry cooking and awful with what you have. These recipes are just as quick and require no yeast either. Some are sweet and perfect to enjoy with coffee or for dessert, and others are tasty and pair well with hearty meals like Crock Pot Roast and
Tools used in this recipe:
9-inch bread pans: These are amazing and affordable and come in a set of two.
Parchment paper – I prefer parchment over foil; it's just easier to work with and is just as nonstick. Plus it just looks nicer!
Bread knife – A sharp, serrated bread knife is a kitchen brand recommended for cutting bread (and tomatoes too!).
This beer bread recipe is a simple and adaptable quick bread that is a little sweet, super moist and made with only 6 ingredients.
Keywords: beer bread
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Servings: 9 slices
- 3 cups flour for all purposes
- 1 ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 12 grams of beer or beer of your choice
- 4 tablespoons butter melted and lightly cooled
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch loaf pan and line with parchment paper that folds over just two sides (optional, for easy removal).
Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
Pour in the beer and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Pour the dough into the prepared loaf pan and drizzle the melted butter on top.
Bake the bread until golden brown and firm, approx. 45 minutes to an hour. Refrigerate in the pan for 10 minutes, then allow to cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
Serve with butter and honey for sprinkling. (optional)
Nutritional information is approximate and is based on retrieving 9 slices of bread from the bread. The actual number of slices may vary based on the thickness of each slice. Use any kind of beer or beer you like. Or use cider for a slightly sweeter taste.
Calories: 225kcal | Carbohydrates: 37 g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Saturated fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 13 mg | Sodium: 178 mg | Potassium: 257 mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 155IU | Calcium: 96 mg | Iron: 2 mg