Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
This classic beef and tomato stew is true comfort food at its best! Perfect recipe for a cold weekend at home and can easily be prepared in your instant pot, slow cooker or even directly on the stove!
So I posted this recipe over 7 years ago (I can't believe I've been blogging that long!), But it's always been one of our favorites that I wanted to update the photos and share them with all of you again 🙂 Also, this recipe was streamed for my grandmother, so you KNOW it will be good.
This is a great meal to prepare on the weekends because it is very simple, you just have to put everything in a pot, and you can enjoy the leftovers for a few days! Oh, and the best part? Your home is guaranteed to smell amazing!
Filled with fresh vegetables like carrots, peas, celery, and onion (you know, the usual suspects) along with some diced potatoes and beef, this stew will definitely be a winner in your home. It's more tomato-based than typical beef stew recipes, but we take tomatoes here and this is how I grew up eating it 🙂 I also added some fresh herbs like thyme and rosemary to give it an earthy flavor that really ties it all together.
This beef stew can be made in many different ways, making this recipe very convenient! If you want to do this during the week, but you don't have much time on your hands, you can just throw everything in your instant pot (THIS is my favorite!) And you'll have a delicious crumble. Meat in the mouth with tender potatoes! It really is amazing how amazing instant cooker works and is great for busy families who don't have time to wait for a slow cooker. If you don't have one yet, trust me you will love it!
On the other hand, if you love using your slow cooker and want to boil it all day, this is a great recipe for that, too! The top of the stove is another great way to cook this, which is really the classic way, the only difference is that I sauté the onions and celery along with the ground beef before adding the rest of the ingredients. You can also do this in your instant jackpot, which is good!
Follow us on PINTEREST!
I hope everyone enjoys this comforting dish of my favorite beef stew! Feel free to tailor this to your liking as well, such as adding other veggies if you prefer, or skipping potatoes if you're looking at their carbs. You really can't go wrong and it will definitely warm you up this winter!
Beef and tomato stew
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (if you cut the meat first)
- 2 lb diced beef stew
- 1 can (15 oz) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 3 chopped celery ribs
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 pound of baby potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dry)
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary (or ½ teaspoon dried)
- 1 bay leaf
- To make in your instant pot: Drizzle olive oil into the bowl of your instant pot and activate the stir fry function. Wait until it is very hot and then add meat, browning on all sides. Add the rest of your ingredients, seal the instant pot and select the meat / stew setting (about 35 minutes). After cooking is complete, let the instant pot sit for about 12 minutes, then release the steam by placing the valve in the vent position.
- To prepare in your slow cooker: add diced beef (except oil) along with the rest of the ingredients, cover and simmer for 7 to 8 hours.
- To prepare on the stove: In a large Dutch oven or in a saucepan over medium-high heat, drizzle with oil and brown the meat on all sides. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 2 to 3 hours, until the meat is tender. Serve and enjoy!
Serving Size: 1½ cups • Calories: 325 • Fat: 13.3 g • Saturated Fat: 5 g • Carbs: 24.2 g • Fiber: 5 g • Protein: 27.3 g • Sugar: 9.7 g • WW Freestyle Points: 6
cooking stew stove instant slow pot beef veal tomato