Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
This is the BEST chocolate chip banana bread recipe! It's wet with a perfect crumb, easy to make, it only takes 5 minutes to mix, and it's full of bananas and chocolate chips! This banana and chocolate chip bread is the perfect recipe for using overripe bananas!
This Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is a recipe I make almost weekly in our house, and it is seriously the best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread you will ever eat! It's wet with a perfect crumb and it only takes 5 minutes to mix! Plus, it's so easy to do that my 8-year-old daughter makes it regularly on her own, without mom's supervision!
This recipe is true to its name and loaded with bananas and chocolate chips! It's the perfect way to use overripe bananas! I basically took my best banana bread recipe (Which is amazing by the way) and I tweaked it a bit to offset the addition of chocolate chips (mostly by volume, so it still fits in a bread pan).
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe: Ingredients and Substitutions
Take a minute to discuss the ingredients used in this chocolate chip banana bread recipe and possible substitutions.
- Overripe bananas. Buy some extra bananas and let them get more brown just to make this recipe! If you use yellow / green bananas (seen in the photo below, but are for show only, the mashed bananas were super brown, and therefore not very photogenic), your bread will lack moisture and sweetness.
- Butter. I always bake with salted butter, however unsalted butter works just as well on this chocolate chip banana bread. If desired, you can substitute up to half the butter (¼ cup) with canola oil or even applesauce. For a dairy-free version, use vegan butter (like Earth Balance), butter, or coconut oil (however, coconut oil will leave the bread with a little coconut flavor!
- Granulated sugar. Any granulated sugar works well in this recipe. I prefer to use organic cane sugar.
- Brown sugar. This recipe calls for light brown sugar, but if you want a little more molasses flavor, you can use dark brown sugar!
- All-purpose flour. For best results, I recommend using all-purpose flour. However, bread flour works well in this chocolate chip banana bread recipe, too. You can substitute up to ½ cup flour with whole-grain puff flour … but it will change the final product slightly. For a gluten-free version, use all-purpose 1: 1 gluten-free baking flour.
- Chocolate chips. Any variety of chocolate chips works well on this chocolate chip banana bread! I generally go for semi-sweet chips because I think they have the perfect amount of sweetness for this recipe. I will discuss other mixing options when we discuss how to make the recipe below.
Are you looking for a healthier banana bread recipe? Then try my beloved Paleo Banana Bread or this Double Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread! This classic pumpkin bun is another favorite quick bun of ours too!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Even though this recipe is so easy, we're going to walk you through the process so you end up with a perfect chocolate chip banana bread every time!
Follow us on PINTEREST!
1. Shred the bananas!
The first step in this chocolate chip banana bread recipe is mashing the bananas! Add the whole bananas to a large bowl and use a fork or potato masher to puree them! I have had this potato masher for over a decade, and it is the only way I puree (bananas, potatoes, beans, etc.). I love!
Are my bananas ripe enough to make banana bread?
Be sure to use ripe, brown bananas! They have the best flavor, maximum sweetness and are the easiest to crush! They should be very dark brown or almost black in color and soft to the touch!
2. Mix the wet ingredients
Then mix the wet ingredients together. Make sure the butter is melted and the eggs are at room temperature for best results! To quickly prepare the room temperature of a cold egg, simply dip the egg in warm water and let it sit for 5-10 minutes!
3. Add sugars and mix until combined
I always recommend adding sugar to the wet ingredients before adding the dry ingredients. Especially in recipes, like this banana bread with chocolate chips, which are mixed by hand. Stir the mixture well until the sugar dissolves and there are no lumps.
4. Add dry ingredients
The next step in this chocolate chip banana bread recipe is to add the dry ingredients. You can mix them in a separate bowl and then add them to the wet ingredients, however that just makes one more dish clean! Usually I just add the dry ingredients to the wet mix and stir them a bit on the surface before combining the two!
5. Add chocolate chips
Gently stir the chocolate chips into the batter. I find that 1 cup of chocolate chips is the perfect amount, producing chocolate goodness in every bite without mastering the taste of banana bread. Feel free to add up to ½ a cup more if you like!
What can I add to banana bread?
If you're looking to add more than just chocolate chips to this recipe, here are some great mixing ideas!
- pecan nuts
- Cinnamon chips
- White chocolate chips
- Dried fruits (blueberries, rasins, etc.)
- Peanut Butter Swirl or Nutella
6. Pour the dough into the pan and bake
Then pour the well-mixed banana chip chocolate chip bread mix into a greased pan! Use a spatula to spread the dough evenly in the pan. Then place the pan on the lowest rack of the preheated oven and wait! Note: It is very important to grease the bread pan well to ensure easy removal! I use a nonstick spray. However, you can rub the sides with butter or shortening if you want!
How do you know when chocolate chip banana bread is made?
This simple chocolate chip banana bread is made when the following occurs:
- The upper part is golden brown in color and is set (not wavy).
- The sides of the bread begin to slightly separate from the pan.
- A cake tester inserted in the center of the bread it comes out clean or with very few crumbs.
Side note: I am obsessed with this cake tester. My mom bought it for me one Christmas and I honestly thought I would never use it… but I was SO wrong. I use it every time I bake and I even bought a second! $ 6 well spent!
7. Cool and remove from the pan
Let the banana and chocolate chip bread cool in the bread pan on a wire rack for at least 2 hours, or overnight. This will ensure that the bread does not tear or tear when removed. To remove the chocolate chip banana bread from the pan, take a knife or a thin spatula and gently separate the bread from the sides of the pan. Shake the pan to see if you have let go of the sides. Once the bread is released from the pan, rotate it on a wire rack to finish cooling (if you only waited 2 hours).
Chocolate chip banana bread faq
Here are some frequently asked questions on how to make this chocolate chip banana bread recipe!
How is chocolate chip banana bread stored?
Store this chocolate chip banana bread in an airtight container or plastic bag to make sure it doesn't dry out. If you plan to eat the whole bread in a day or two, feel free to store it at room temperature. If it takes longer, I recommend storing this best banana bread in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze banana bread with chocolate chips?
YES! I recommend freezing this sliced banana bread in an airtight container! That way you can take one piece out at a time to enjoy! You can also individually wrap the slices in plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out!
How does chocolate chip banana bread stay moist after baking?
The key to keeping this easy banana bread super moist after it's baked is to store it in an airtight container or ziploc bag as soon as it's cut. Do not leave the sliced bread sitting, exposed to the air, for longer than necessary!
Since this is absolutely the best chocolate chip banana bread, it stands out on its own and you don't need anything extra to taste amazing! However, here are some of our favorite ingredients that we like to spread on our hot banana bread:
- Peanut butter or any other nut / seed butter. Try making this vanilla peanut butter or vanilla and almond butter!
- Apply it with this honey and cinnamon butter!
- Butter with a pinch of cinnamon sugar
- Drizzle of honey or maple syrup
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
This is the BEST chocolate chip banana bread recipe! It's wet with a perfect crumb, easy to prepare, it only takes 5 minutes to mix, and it's full of bananas and chocolate chips! This banana and chocolate chip bread is the perfect recipe for using overripe bananas! Preparation time: 5 minutes Cook time: 1 hour Cooling time 3 hours Servings: 12 slices Calories: 290kcal
- glass dough bowl
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 9 × 5 "bread
- ½ cup melted salted butter
- 3-4 overripe bananas – mashed 1 ½ cups
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 × 5 ”pan, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, bananas, eggs, and vanilla. Stir until combined.
- Add granulated sugar and brown sugar. Stir until combined and mixture is smooth.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, and cinnamon and stir until mixture is smooth and even.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir until evenly distributed.
- Pour the dough into the prepared bread pan. If desired, sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake on the lowest rack of the preheated oven for 55-65 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the banana bread comes out with just a few wet crumbs. (If the top starts to brown too much before the toothpick comes out clean, loosely load the bread with aluminum foil.)
- Let cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Use a butter knife to free the sides of the pan from the pan if necessary.
- Put the banana bread on a wire rack to cool and allow to cool completely.
How to store chocolate chip banana bread:
Store this chocolate chip banana bread in an airtight container or plastic bag to make sure it doesn't dry out. It will keep cool at room temperature for 3 days, or in the refrigerator for 1 week.
Can you freeze banana bread with chocolate chips?
YES! Freeze this sliced banana bread in an airtight container. That way you can take one piece out at a time to enjoy! You can also individually wrap the slices in plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out!
Here are some possible ingredient substitutions that can be made in this chocolate chip banana bread recipe:
- Salted butter Unsalted butter works just as well. You can substitute up to half the butter (¼ cup) with canola oil or even applesauce. For a dairy-free version, use vegan butter (like Earth Balance), ghee, or coconut oil (however, coconut oil will leave the bread with a little coconut flavor).
- Granulated sugar. Any granulated sugar works well in this recipe. I prefer to use organic cane sugar. Coconut sugar can also be used.
- Light brown sugar. dark brown sugar works in this recipe, it just imparts a more molasses flavor.
- All-purpose flour. For best results, I recommend using all-purpose flour. However, bread flour also works well. You can substitute up to ½ cup of flour with whole grain puff flour … but this will slightly change the final product. For a gluten-free version, use all-purpose 1: 1 gluten-free baking flour.
- Chocolate chips. Any variety of chocolate chips works well on this chocolate chip banana bread! You can use many other mixes like nuts, dried fruit, other french fries etc.
Serving: 1 serving (1/12 of recipe) | Calories :: 290kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 269 mg | Potassium: 135mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 283 IU | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 2mg
More of our favorite breakfast and banana recipes:
We take breakfast seriously! These are some of our favorite breakfast recipes!
- Who does not love french toastt?! Our recipe is the best of all!
- These cinnamon rolls are to die for! They can also be done in advance!
- This banana cake is better than Sara Lee and you have to do it ASAP!
- I love a good quiche, like this crustless crust or this hash brown crust quiche!
- Other egg dishes like this frittata and egg casserole are easy and healthy!
- If you love baked oatmeal, try our Baked Oatmeal with Pumpkin, Baked Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Apple, Baked Oatmeal with Blueberries and everyone's favorite: Baked Oatmeal with Banana and Peanut Butter.
- These mocha chocolate buns and these cinnamon buns are some of my all-time favorites.
- Everyone should try this BEST green smoothie recipe! And this strawberry and banana smoothie and this green chocolate smoothie with peanut butter!
product through a link you clicked here, I get a portion of the sale. Thanks for supporting JoyFoodSunshine!
You may also like:
Paleo Squash Zucchini Muffins or Bread Healthy Homemade Granola Recipe Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos