Kids love these healthy baked zucchini sticks! Bake them in the oven or in the fryer (instructions for both). Perfectly served with marinara for dipping.
Baked Zucchini sticks
This healthier version of fried zucchini sticks or zucchini fries, as some people call them, is delicious as a snack, appetizer or side dish. Heck, I even made them for lunch! When my daughter Karina was younger, she used them often! If you love zucchini as much as we do, you can check out all my zucchini recipes here.
I’ve been making this recipe for years when Karina was younger, it was my favorite way to make zucchini because I knew she would eat them without complaint. I serve them with my homemade marinara sauce on the side, but it is completely optional. The serving size is huge, every person gets a whole zucchini!
The only complaints I used to get were that I never made enough, so if you think this is a lot for four people, keep in mind that they shrink a little when cooking, I quickly learned how to make a big one batch of these!
Healthy Fried Zucchini Tip:
- For best results, it is best to break them into two portions so that crumbs do not clump together.
- Although the recipe is written for four portions, you can easily make this one or two. Simply cut the recipe in half or in quarters.
- To make them dairy-free, swap parmesan cheese for more bread crumbs.
- To make them gluten free, swap the bread crumbs for gluten free spicy crumbs.
How to make zucchini sticks
More Zucchini recipes
Baked Zucchini sticks
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 min
Kids love these healthy baked zucchini sticks! Perfectly served with marinara for dipping.
- cooking spray
- 4 medium, 7 oz each zucchinis, ends trimmed
- 3 large egg whites, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup spiced whole grain bread
- 2 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup quick marinara sauce for dipping, optional
Baked Zucchini Sticks:
Preheat oven to 425 ° F. Spray 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray and set aside.
Cut each zucchini into 16 sticks of the same size, approx. 3 inches long and 1/2 inch thick.
In a small bowl, beat the egg whites and season with salt and pepper. In a medium low bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Romano cheese, garlic powder and mix well.
Dip the zucchini sticks into the egg whites and then into the breadcrumbs, a few at a time, and cover well.
- Place the breaded zucchini sticks in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets and spray with more oil on top. Bake for about 22-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with 1/2 cup marinara sauce for dipping if desired.
Air Fryer Zucchini Sticks
Preheat the air fryer 400F. Roast in a single layer, in portions, 12 to 14 minutes, turning halfway until golden.
Serving: 16 sticks, Calories: 154 kcal, Carbohydrates: 26 g, Protein: 9 g, Fat: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 0.5 g, Sodium: 327 mg, Fiber: 3 g, Sugar: 7g
Blue Smart Points: 4
Green smart points: 2
Purple Smart Points: 4
Points +: 4
Keywords: fried zucchini, zucchini fries, zucchini sticks
Don't miss a recipe!
Get new free recipes and exclusive content delivered directly to your inbox: