Did you find this post helpful, inspiring? Save THIS PIN in its blog board in Pinterest. 😉
Depending on where your table is, bacon green beans go by many names: Texas Roadhouse green beans, southern-style green beans, or Arkansas green beans. This must-have recipe swaps canned beans for fresh, but keeps smoked bacon and brown sugar. The restart is absolutely perfect.
From a hasty dinner overnight to a long, quiet Friendsgiving meal, these beans will always be welcome. Maybe with a grilled Tri Tip, or turkey meatballs and a generous tablespoon of the best mashed potatoes you'll ever have. To see the easy vegetable sides kids (and kids at heart) love, check out some of my other vegetable recipes.
How to make green beans with bacon:
- First, cut the stems of the beans by hand or with a pair of kitchen scissors.
- To blanch the green beans, heat a large pot of salted water until it boils. Have a large bowl of ice water nearby.
- Once the water boils, add the green beans and boil until tender and crisp (but still vibrant green), about 3 to 5 minutes, depending on how you like the beans.
- Remove the beans from the boiling water and immediately soak in the ice water bath to stop cooking.
- Then cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. When done, add the brown sugar, a little water, and the blanched beans.
- Bring everything to a simmer and cook until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot.
How to make quick green beans with bacon using frozen beans:
You certainly can. If the fresh ones in the store only look regular, buy a bag or two of frozen green beans and cook them directly from the bag, following the recipe. If they are pre-blanched, the recipe goes even faster.
Can you put raw bacon on green beans?
You run the risk of soggy bacon if you do that. But sometimes I get lazy (like with my bacon-roasted Brussels sprouts), and it might work. It depends on your risk aversion.
HOWEVER: If you can, crisp that bacon first, it will make a big difference. You can do it a couple of days before, if you are too busy. Bacon can be cooked in the microwave, on the stove, or in the oven.
Just keep the bacon fat and keep the bacon crispy in the fridge.
Follow us on PINTEREST!
How to make green beans with bacon in a clay pot:
Looking for slow-cooking green beans? It is also easy to make and delicious.
- Start by cooking the bacon in a pan on the stove until crisp. You can also cook bacon in the oven, using a skillet.
- Transfer the bacon and the bacon drops to a slow cooker.
- Add beans, brown sugar, and water. (It is not necessary to previously blanch the beans).
- Cover and cook on HIGH until beans are tender, about 3 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Green beans with bacon variations:
Like all classic vegetable garnish recipes, this one has tons of delicious variations, each better than the last.
- Southern green beans with bacon and almonds: Roasted and chopped almonds sprinkled with beans are a classic variation.
- Quick green beans with bacon and mushrooms: Some shiitake, cremini, or thinly sliced mushrooms added to bacon while cooking taste great. Also, I never knew a mushroom that I didn't like.
- Sweet green beans with bacon and brown sugar: Some recipes call for brown sugar. If you like your beans a little, go ahead and add another 1/4 cup to the recipe.
- Easy green beans with bacon and onion: Sauté some chopped red or yellow onions with the bacon, taking advantage of the bacon fat so that they are well toasted, then add the beans. Or top with canned fried onions!
- Green beans with bacon and shallots: Stir-fried shallots or fried shallots (available in Asian markets) on top of green beans add texture and flavor to this recipe.
- Roadhouse green beans with bacon and vinegar: Some people prefer a little extra flavor in this dish; If you're one of them, add a little cider vinegar, white vinegar, or even balsamic vinegar to the water. The vinegar will reduce and flavor everything. If you think you've gone too far, you can balance it with a little extra brown sugar to balance it out.
- Toasted walnuts in southern-style green beans. Learn how to roast pecans to bring out their flavor, then add them to salads and vegetables, especially green beans.
What are the calories in green beans with bacon?
Depending on how big of a batch you make, nutritional information is attached to the recipe below.
However, during the holidays, try not to worry as much about the calories from green beans with bacon; There is always room for fresh vegetables in between bites of everything else. In January, you can skip the bacon!
Type of American cuisine Preparation time: 5 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes Total time: 30 minutes Calories: 176 kcal
- 2 pounds trimmed green bean stems
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 slices of bacon cut into 1/2 "pieces
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- If you use a smaller pot, you may have to blanch the green beans in batches. Place a large bowl of ice water before blanching the beans.
- In a large pot or stock pot, boil 4 quarts of water and 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Add green beans and boil until tender and crisp, but still bright green, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain well and immediately immerse in ice water to stop cooking.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Add the blanched beans, brown sugar, and water. Simmer and cook until hot, about 3 minutes. Season to taste. Remove to a serving plate with a slotted spoon.
Calories :: 176kcal