You guys. these asian beef and broccoli noodles are insanely light and so good.
they remind me of my favorite Chinese take-out dish, beef and broccoli, but in a much faster noodle version!
This is one of those recipes where you crave comfort food in the form of take-out, but you don't want to spend the money on take-out, but you also don't want to spend forever in the kitchen.
because when you're hungry, you just want instant gratification.
while these Asian beef and broccoli noodles are not complete instant gratification, in about 25 minutes, you can get that satisfaction and that's something we can all get behind, no?
Can I use frozen broccoli?
You will skip the blanching step and just add the broccoli in when the beef is done cooking.
Can I use another minced meat?
I would recommend the chuck roast or a flank.
Can I use anything other than rice noodles?
What is oyster sauce?
It is literally a thick sauce made with oysters and soy sauce.
It is a staple of Chinese cooking.
Can I leave it out?
No, it gives this Asian broccoli and beef noodle a lot of flavor.
What if I don't have sweet soy sauce?
You can add 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar to the soy sauce mix instead.
What if I don't have Chinese rice wine?
You can try mirin or dry sherry.
Why should I let the Chinese rice wine, pillow powder sit in a bowl with the beef?
My mom always did. It helps to darken the meat!
Can I use cornstarch instead of pillow powder?
Why pillow powder instead of cornstarch?
I have become very fond of willow powder because it is less distinguishable in taste than cornstarch.
I personally can't taste corn starch in my dishes, but I know that others have said they can, so I've started switching to pillow powder in recipes where I'm hard-pressed with corn starch.
They are both honestly interchangeable.
The thick sauce just covers this Asian beef and broccoli noodle.
We LOVE it and provide a good meal a week.
Since 7 ounces of rice noodles is usually half the amount of noodles in a package, you can make this twice or you can just double the recipe and add the whole package of noodles!
If this Asian beef and broccoli noodle is up in your alley, these recipes are also:
- Ginger garlic shrimp noodles stir fry
- Zucchini noodle cashew stir fry
- 20-minute teriyaki chicken and broccoli
- General tsos chicken frame
Asian beef and broccoli noodles
A creative takeover of the classic Chinese thank you, but in a noodle dish! Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 20 min Resting time: 10 minutes Total time: 30 min Course: Dinner Food: Asian Calories: 689kcal
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
For the rest of the dish:
- 3/4 pound boneless short ribs, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- Sprinkle Chinese rice wine
- 1 1/2 cup broccoli flowers
- 7 ounces rice noodles
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce, then set them aside.
- Place the short rib slices in the medium bowl and sprinkle the powdered red powder on top. Toss gently to coat lightly, then add the Chinese rice wine and mix again. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil. Prepare a large bowl of water with ice, then set it aside. When the pot of water is cooked, blanch broccoli flowers for 3-4 minutes and then use with a split spoon or strainer, scrape out broccoli and place in the bowl of ice water. Set aside.
- In a low boil, store the pan of water into which the broccoli was blanched.
- Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to a large frying pan or wok, then turn heat to medium-high. Add the beef to the skillet. While the beef is cooking, add the rice noodles in the water in the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes. They do not take long at all.
- When the beef is done cooking, add the broccoli to the sauce. Toss everything in the sauce, then add the noodles straight from the pan with water to the skillet. It's okay if it's not 100% drained out of water. It helps it not to stick together.
- Toss everything until ingredients are evenly distributed. Remove it from the heat and serve.
Nutrition facts Asian beef and broccoli noodles Serving (1 bowl) calories 689 calories from fat 288 % Daily Value * Fat 32g49% carbohydrates 63 g21% Fiber 2g8% Sugar 16g18% protein 33g66% * Percent daily values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. * Nutrition facts are an estimate and are not guaranteed to be accurate.